The Reading Room – What’s the SCOOP?
After hijacking a space on EMSNOW’s homepage while I guest edited the publication, their esteemed editor, Jennifer Read, has kindly allowed me back on a weekly basis to share some of what I am watching, reading and even listening to. So, here’s a few things I’ve enjoyed this week, some of which you will see among my regular posts on Twitter.or
- Another good Additive Manufacturing blog from Essentium3D, this time offering ‘ ’. The potential of 3D Printing is immense: to create products that couldn’t be created otherwise, like custom prosthetics; to disrupt manufacturing and the supply chain with new production models; to provide customized products at scale; and to be the most connected (smart) and efficient (green) manufacturing method.
- Check out the line-up for June’s eSMART Factory Conferencein Michigan, this June 20thand 21st. Some very impressive speakers lined up discussing some key topics. Nice job SMTA and the Global SMT & Packaging team.
- Disrupting the disrupted – Tesla CEO plans to hand the car keys to robots next year. According to this feature, Elon Musk expects to start converting the company’s electric cars into fully self-driving vehicles next year as part of an audacious plan to create a network of robotic taxis to compete against Uber and other ride-hailing services.
- Amid speculation about their founder, Terry Gou’s future, and even a possible presidential bid, Taiwan’s Foxconn said it remains committed to its contract to build a display plant and tech research facilities in Wisconsin, days after the U.S. state’s governor said he wanted to renegotiate the deal. The site could create 13,000 new jobs.
- Check out this Mckinsey insight into How Automation Could Affect Employment For Women And Minorities. Much has already been said about how automation and artificial intelligence will affect employment and wages. But what about the impact of these trends on women in the workplace?
That’s it until next week! For more regular musing connect or follow me on Twitter.or
Read more, watch more, hear more, know more – that’s the SCOOP!