The Reading Room – What’s The SCOOP?
Now in a regular Friday spot, this is the Reading Room, a weekly roundup of what we’ve been reading, watching and listening to. You can see these updates even more regularly if you follow me on LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Happy Thanksgiving everyone, although it’ll probably be Friday by the time you read this piece and you will be resting having consumed all that good food and enjoyed good company. While it’s a good time to get away from technology, DesignNews suggests you “Have a high-tech Thanksgiving”. And show how cooking the big holiday meal gets a bit more exciting with 3D printing and IOT devices.
- New York Time, columnist, David Leonhardt, suggests we “Turn Off Your Phone for Thanksgiving”. He’s won over to a day with people, not screens. Good advice, the turkey doesn’t need to be on Insta.
- In other news, Wired Science Writer, Matt Simon, make “The Case for Sending Robots to Day Care, Like Toddlers”, adding that robots are terrible at manipulating objects and adapting to new environments. A potential solution? Let them grow up playing, like children.
- Also on robots, is seems that “North American Robot Orders up 5% Through Q3 2019”. The Robotic Industries Association (RIA), part of the Association for Advancing Automation (A3), announced Nov. 21 that North American robot unit orders are up 5.2% through the third quarter of 2019, compared to 2018 results. So far this year, North American companies have ordered 23,894 robotic units, valued at $1.3 billion. Read more in ThomasNet.
- According to IndustryWeek, Manufacturers need to have a specific business case and production-based purpose to deliver the full potential of digital twins. Read more in “Making Digital Twins Work in the Real World”
- IndustryWeek also offers insight into “Which Countries are Ready for the Future of Production?” Thanks to a new report from World Economic Forum that identifies which countries are ready to thrive.
- Lastly, if you’re looking for Black Friday deals on 3D printers, filaments, and accessories? Check out the best 3D printing deals happening right now on ALL3DP.
FROM PRODUCTRONICA: We’ve edited and posted a many more videos from Productronica, check out the debate with Cimetrix, Cogiscan and Aegis on connectivity. In a panel where heated debate was expected, universal agreement was the order of the day…on our . Check out the
VIDEO OF THE WEEK: I interviewed close to seventy people during the four days of productronica, I enjoyed them all, but below are a few of my favorites from the first couple of day. There are more to come.
PODCAST IF THE WEEK: This one’s a bit different, but a great listen. Check out “Art Meets Tech” on the vmwars’s radius podcast.
Read more, watch more, hear more, know more – that’s the SCOOP!