The Reading Room – What’s the SCOOP?
After hijacking a space on EMSNOW’s homepage while I guest edited the publication, their esteemed editor, Jennifer Read, has kindly allowed me back on a weekly basis to share some of what I am watching, reading and even listening to. So, here’s a few things I’ve enjoyed this week, some of which you will see among my regular posts on Twitter.or
- I am a big fan of Mike Konrad from Aqueous Technologies, an industry veteran, who has one of the best podcasts I’ve heard in the industry called Reliability Matters. Mike was my guest on the inaugural episode of ‘ ’, which we shot at APEX earlier this year. Episode 12 of Reliability Matters is An Interview with FLITE’s Michelle Ogihara and Sherry Stepp on Women in Electronics. It’s well produced, the guests and the conversations are great and the topic is extremely important. My compliments to Mike and the whole team at FLITE.
- Whilst we’re on the topic of Women in Technology, I saw that Women in Manufacturing Announced Launch of Women in Manufacturing Hall of Fame. I already have my shortlist of nominees, who’s on your list?
- 99% of middle market manufacturing executives today are at least moderately familiar with Industry 4.0. Yet, despite all its potential to create value, only 5% are currently implementing, or have implemented, an Industry 4.0 strategy. This is just one of numerous insightful and sometimes shocking statistics in the 2019 BDO Middle Market Industry 4.0 Benchmarking Survey. Some great insights into why the industry is not embracing the potential of smart factory as quickly perhaps they should.
- By now everyone knows I’m a huge fan of Additive Manufacturing, but wow, check out this medical breakthrough, where an Israeli scientist unveil world’s first 3D-printed heart with human tissue. Mind-blowing and another reason I find the high-tech sector so energizing, more life changing tech like this please!
- Blockchain has much to offer the manufacturing industry, particularly in the field of supply chain. But with a reputation born in the shady world of cryptocurrencies and technical challenges, it’s a tough nut to crack. EBN’s Hailey McKeefry sums things up in her editorial, Current State of Blockchain & Supply Chain: Promising but Challenging.
- How can you not want to read an article with the title, An Entrepreneur and His Ex-Cons: Meet the Former Gang Member Who Created A $10 Million Packaging Startup That Hires Former Inmates? A great and inspiring story.
That’s it until next week! For more regular musing connect or follow me on Twitter.or
Read more, watch more, hear more, know more – that’s the SCOOP!