Tablet Shipments See a Modest Decline of 5.0% in the Second Quarter of 2019, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass.– The worldwide tablet market declined 5.0% year over year during the second quarter of 2019 (2Q19) as global shipments fell to 32.2 million units, according to preliminary data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) .
Tablet Company Highlights
Apple led the market and managed to increase its share compared to last year as the iPad maker gained 4 percentage points year over year. The launch of the detachable iPad Air in 2Q19 helped Apple to double its detachable tablet shipments. Meanwhile, slate iPads declined 7.5% year over year as the new iPads were unable to maintain the same momentum of upgrades as those launched in 2018.
Samsung continued to hold the second position and managed to grow its share though this was simply because the market declined at a faster pace than Samsung’s own tablet shipments. Although the company is the last bastion of premium Android tablets, the majority of its shipments were comprised of the lower-end E and A series.
Huawei managed to hold the third position and maintain its share despite the political headwinds. However, given the rising tensions between the U.S. and China, Huawei’s future as a mainstay of the tablet market remains uncertain.
Amazon.com shipments have always been very seasonal and this quarter was no different. The company substantially increased its shipments in 2Q19 as it geared up for Prime Day in July. Its refreshed models also helped provide an uplift for the retailer.
Lenovo rounded out the top 5 with 5.8% share and a 6.9% year-over-year decline. Despite the unfavorable figures, Lenovo managed to grow fairly well in mature markets such as the United States, Western Europe, and Japan.
|Top Five Tablet Companies, Worldwide Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Second Quarter 2019(Preliminary results, combined company view for the current quarter only, shipments in millions)|
|Vendor||2Q19 Shipments||2Q19 Market Share||2Q18 Shipments||2Q18 Market Share||Year-Over-Year Growth|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PCD Tracker, August 1, 2019|
- Data is preliminary and subject to change. Some IDC estimates prior to financial earnings reports. Data for all companies are reported for calendar periods.
- Total tablet market includes slate tablets plus detachable tablets. References to “tablets” in this release include both slate tablets and detachable devices.
- “Convertibles” refers to convertible notebooks, which are notebook PCs that have keyboards that can either flip, spin, or twist, but unlike detachable tablets, convertible notebook keyboards are hardwired to the display.
- Shipments include shipments to distribution channels or end users. OEM sales are counted under the company/brand under which they are sold.
- The “Company” represents the current parent company (or holding company) for all brands owned and operated as subsidiary.