Global PC Monitor Volume Declines in the Second Quarter of 2019, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass.- The worldwide market for PC monitors saw a year-over-year decline of 2.2% in the second quarter of 2019 (2Q19) with shipment volume totaling just over 30 million units. Although the market shrank, the results nonetheless exceeded forecast and maintained the seasonal trend of surpassing first quarter (1Q19) volume, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker.
Some of the factors that affected the results include continued adoption of larger models, relatively strong shipments in 1Q19 that left some inventory, and premium focus on gaming and curved displays. External factors such as Windows 10 migration in the commercial PC space and international trade tensions also played a factor.
“Outside of Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), the PC monitor market was otherwise healthy in the second quarter,” said Jay Chou, research manager, Personal C omputing Device Tracker. “Commercial replacements and upgrades into larger screens continue to drive the narrative, though the shift toward notebooks in the biggest region, Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), and a slowdown in China has wrought some challenges.”
Beyond the current quarter, IDC expects 122 million PC monitors will ship for the full year 2019, which is a year-over-year decline of 1.0%. Nonetheless this is a raised outlook compared to earlier forecasts. IDC expects a sizable volume drop-off in 2020 after this year’s spate of commercial renewals. Furthermore, amidst a long-term sluggish PC market outlook, IDC expects the PC monitor market to see a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -2.9% between 2018-2023.
- Curved monitors grew 44.7% year over year in 2Q19, with both consumer and commercial markets increasingly receptive to the still niche but growing part of the display landscape.
- Though 21.5-inch is the most popular screen size currently, bigger screens are expected to grow, and IDC expects 23.8-inch wide monitors to take the top position by 2023.
- Monitors with IPS panels took half of 2Q19 volume, the first time it has reached 50% of market. TN panels remained the second most popular panel but has seen more competition from VA panels, which gamers increasingly are moving towards.
- Dell retained the top position in 2Q19 with worldwide market share of 21.4% on shipments of over 6.4 million units and outpaced the market with growth of 1.1%, largely thanks to solid results in North America and Western Europe.
- HP Inc. saw more than 4.5 million units shipped for the number two position, but shipments declined 1.9% year over year. Strong shipments into Western Europe in 1Q19 affected 2Q19 results.
- TPV experienced the strongest year-over-year growth (+8.9%) out of the top 5 vendors in 2Q19. The vendor had strong showings in nearly all regions, especially in North America.
- Lenovo maintained the fourth position, posting a decline of 5.8% year over year with just over 3 million units shipped. Market conditions in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) proved challenging but the firm performed well in North America, Western Europe, and Japan.
- LG Electronics rounded out the Top 5 in 2Q19 with 2.5 million units shipped, which was a decline of 3.3%.
|Top 5 PC Monitor Companies, Worldwide Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2019 (shipments in millions)|
|Company||2Q19 Shipments||2Q19 Market Share||2Q18 Shipments||2Q18 Market Share||2Q19/2Q18 Growth|
|1. Dell Technologies||6.4||21.4%||6.4||20.7%||1.1%|
|2. HP Inc.||4.6||15.2%||4.7||15.2%||-1.9%|
|5. LG Electronics||2.5||8.2%||2.5||8.3%||-3.3%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker, September 2019|
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC’s Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC’s analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world’s leading media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and . Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights: http://bit.ly/IDCBlog_Subscribe.